- B-10 contract – From August 1 to May 31 (fall and spring semesters)
- B-11 contract – B-10 contract plus one-half time for June and July
- A-12 contract – B-10 contract plus full time for June and July
Regardless of contract type, faculty salaries are paid over the full year in twelve monthly payments.
Additional (summer) salary – Faculty who are in B-10 contracts can earn up to two months of Additional salary for funded research or for additional teaching duties. Faculty who are in B-11 contracts can earn up to one month of additional salary for funded research or for additional teaching duties.
Incentive (extra) salary – Faculty members who are fully supported for an academic year (B-10 plus two months, B-11 plus one month, or A-12) may earn Incentive salary in an amount up to 10% of their contract base salary.
Additional and/or Incentive salary is subject to the following requirements:
- Additional and Incentive salary for funded research will be based on salary cahrged to research contracts or grants in the current fiscal year.
- Additional salary for teaching may come from department research release or instructional funds as designated and approved by the department chair.
- Incentive salary must be matched, dollar-for-dollar, by salary released from the faculty member’s department funding source. These released funds will be transferred to the department research release account to be used at the discretion of the department chair.
- Additional or Incentive salary can be less than one full month but must be at least $1,000.
Procedure – A “month” of Additional salary is defined as 10% of the faculty member’s B-10 or B-11 base salary. The exact amount of Additional and Incentive salary will be set when faculty salaries for the new fiscal year are finalized.
Faculty members and their department chair will review eligibility for Additional salary and Incentive salary as part of their annual work plan review. Additional salary requests are subject to departmental policies with regard to teaching assignment. Department chairs will provide a list of approved Additional and Incentive salary requests to the Dean’s office by March 1st of each year.
Additional salary is not counted as part of Institutional Base Salary (IBS) but will bear full University benefits. Incentive salary is not counted as part of Institutional Base Salary (IBS) and will not bear full University benefits.
For Incentive salary a percentage of faculty base salary will be charged against the designated contract or grant, distributed as specified by Speed School salary assignment procedures. Half of the released salary funds will be used to fund Incentive salary. The other half of the released salary funds will be transferred to the department research release account to be used at the discretion of the department chair.
This policy will be effective starting FY14 and supersedes all previous Speed School policies regarding Additional and Incentive salary and all departmental Research Release policies. Any salary funds released from the faculty member’s department funding source and not used for Additional or Incentive salary will be used at the discretion of the department chair.
Approved by AP&P May 8, 2012
Revised by AP&P February 19, 2013
Revised by Dean’s office February 21, 2014 for new “xben” payroll category