On-time deliveries happen around the clock and around the world when logistics and distribution channels work smoothly. Improving their operations is our specialty — and we deliver the goods.
Logistics and Distribution Institute
The multi-disciplinary Logistics and Distribution Institute (LoDI) is dedicated to innovating new delivery processes for organizations shipping goods, services, and personnel around the globe. We produce impactful efficiencies research and prepare students to be leaders in their fields.
Some of our current projects include:
- Pick-up and delivery routes for the N95 decontamination program in Louisville during COVID-19
- High-density storage through rack design and slot sizes
- Dispatching emergency medical service (EMS) vehicle
- LoDI index
- From Pallets to Puppies: Using Insights from Logistics to Save Animals
- Locating and Scheduling Drones for Delivering Perishable Items
- Panel size management for primary care (PC) physician network
- Optimal design of electric vehicle charging infrastructure network
Contact: Peyton Hengen, Program Manager
Creation of the LoDI Index, a predictor of logistics and distribution activity in Greater Louisville
Funding provided by Advanced Solutions, Inc. for lab technology upgrades.
A multi-disciplinary approach is needed to create a worker-centric warehouse, with a strong emphasis on industrial psychology, management, facility design, operations, and safety and ergonomics.
An analytical optimization model determining the length and width of a warehouse and the location of the pick and deposit point can minimize the expected travel distance of picking or put-away operations.
Capability Logistics Innovation Lab
Thanks to the generous support of Advanced Solutions, Inc., the Logistics Innovation Lab features multiple research workstations with a suite of advanced modeling software, a meeting space, and up-to-date teleconferencing equipment.
Louisville’s centralized location and transportation facilities (including UPS Worldport, rail lines, interstate highways, and Ohio River barges) make it one of the great locations for logistics in the United States. LoDI continuously engages and works with our local industry partners to make advances in the field.