Meeting the rising energy demand is one of society’s greatest challenges.
MASTER OF SCIENCE IN MATERIALS AND ENERGY SCIENCES & ENGINEERING
UofL’s M.S. in Materials and Energy Science & Engineering is a multidisciplinary program, designed to help professionals advance their careers, support the implementation of new energy technologies and influence the quality of life worldwide.
The MS in Materials and Energy Science and Engineering (MESE) will offer advanced level training to provide students with in-depth knowledge of materials and energy science and engineering in areas such as materials science and engineering, materials chemistry and physics, processing, energy conversion and storage devices, and systems-level engineering. Student educational experiences will be enhanced by research opportunities in laboratories conducting basic and translational research on solar energy conversion, energy storage, biofuels and biomass conversion, solar fuels, materials characterization, and advanced energy materials.
As a graduate of this program, you will have the expertise and practical skills to:
- Design, develop and enact potential solutions and technologies that advance the way energy is generated, stored and distributed.
- Better understand the broad social, ethical and professional issues related to contemporary science and engineering practices.
- Advance your current materials and energy science career and become a leader in your organization.
- Gain new employment within the materials and energy science industry, academia or government.
- Pursue further professional/doctoral studies in materials and energy science, engineering or a related field.
This interdisciplinary program is offered through Dean’s Office within the J.B. Speed School of Engineering at the University of Louisville. UofL has a strong materials and energy science & engineering research community, consisting of established collaborations between the Conn Center for Renewable Energy Research and various departments across the university.
Complete your degree in just 1 year with 15-week terms (part-time option available)
Two academic plans: traditional classroom format or entirely online.
Areas of Study: Curriculum covers MESE fundamentals, energy processing, energy storage and systems engineering.
- Excellent preparation for doctoral studies in materials and energy science, engineering, or a related field
- Gain expertise in areas including advanced energy materials, biofuels, biomass conversion, energy storage, solar energy conversion, solar fuels and more
- Engage with leading researchers associated with Conn Center for Renewable Energy Research
- Build a strong foundation to pursue doctoral studies in related disciplines
Credit Hours. Complete 10 courses, chosen from a list designed to prepare you to discover the power of material science.
Multi-disciplinary training from more than 25 faculty
Our civilization faces continuously growing energy consumption and subsequent demand challenges. Empowering our students and graduates to apply their knowledge and overcome this challenge through the creation and integration of new, advanced earth-abundant materials into cost-effective technologies lies at the heart of the UofL’s energy materials science online program.
This undertaking includes important tasks like redefining our reliance on fossil-based fuels and low-energy efficiency systems – thus lowering our carbon impact on the environment – as well as finding new ways of attaining renewable energy generation, such as tapping into the immense potency of the sun. Aligned with the mission of the Conn Center for Renewable Energy Research, UofL’s online master’s in Materials and Energy Sciences & Engineering aspires to prepare professional scientists and engineers to innovate in these areas, ultimately impacting economic development, energy competitiveness, health, education and quality of life worldwide.
Employment opportunities for materials and energy science engineering graduates are predicted to continue growing faster than the average for all occupations through 2020, with a reported 10-year job growth of around 62% (CNNMoney), with a reported median pay over $83,000 (BLS.gov).
UofL’s Master of Science in Materials and Energy Science & Engineering prepares students for career tracks in industries including semiconductor/opto-electronics, catalysts, and energy as well as to pursue entrepreneurship or join government and corporate labs. Graduates will also have a strong foundation to pursue doctoral studies in related materials and energy science and engineering disciplines.