The Bachelor of Science program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
The Master of Engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
The mission of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is to serve the university, the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and the engineering profession by providing high quality educational programs to all students; engaging in research and scholarship that will extend knowledge; and assisting the economic development of the regional, state, and national economies through technology transfer.
Program Educational Objectives
In accordance with our mission statement, within three to five years of graduation;
- Our graduates will grow from technical competency to professional proficiency.
- Our graduates will engage in professional development and life-long learning.
- Our graduates will exhibit leadership and team-building skills.
- Our graduates will provide service to the profession, and to society.
(a) an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
(b1) an ability to design and conduct experiments
(b2) an ability to analyze and interpret data
(c) an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
(d) an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
(e) an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
(f) an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
(g1) an ability of effective oral communication
(g2) an ability of effective written and graphic communication
(h) the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
(i) a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
(j) a knowledge of contemporary issues
(k) an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
In addition to the above listed outcomes that are integrated to BSCE and MEng CE programs, additional student outcomes for MEng CE program are:
- Demonstrate a mastery of one of the four areas (structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, transportation engineering, water resources) of professional practice in civil engineering.
- Innovative in the integrated design of civil engineering projects.
- Adept at using modern engineering tools and software to support engineering design.
Specific enrollment and degree data available on Facts & Figures page.
Learn more about Speed School’s accreditation.