COVID-19 Professional Development Program Guidelines
Because of the COVID pandemic, students who have not been able to secure a traditional co-op position, are permitted to complete the Speed Professional Development Program (SPDP) as an equivalent to one co-op rotation for the summer or fall 2020 term (you may only participate once). This experience will provide students with the opportunity to earn industry recognized credentials in the form of skills that appropriately correspond or augment their discipline.
- The SPDP experience consists of at least 90 hours of formalized trainings (must result in preparation for industry recognized credential, certificate or badge)
- Experience will be unpaid (unless participating in mini internships)
- Trainings may be classroom-structured or virtual/online
- The experience must be initiated by the student and must be approved by the Director of Career Development and Cooperative Education
- Only one semester of SPDP will be approved as a substitution for cooperative education
- Students must identify and propose a final deliverable that adequately demonstrates their increased proficiency through their upskill training. Students are strongly encouraged to complete at least one industry recognized credential examination as a final deliverable.
- Completes the PDP enrollment form
- Registers for the appropriate co-op course; will be placed in a blackboard organization for tracking
- Submits the PDP Tracking Form
- Completes the PDP experience
- Completes the required student reports – Discussion boards, Industry report and informational interview, final portfolio presentation and LinkedIN profile
- Meets with director in December for review of experience
Information regarding the Professional Development Modules
We recognize that some students have a late start date and are concerned about how to navigate a last minute cancelation. For students that are in that situation and those students that want to continue to search for a co-op after the last drop date, you will have the option to remain enrolled in your co-op experience and complete a set of professional development modules that lead to upskilling in a variety of areas.
The Professional Development Modules will include the following items:
- Industry Outlook report based on desired area of interest with geographical job outlook; Informational Interview requirement of a professional in the field, identification of related professional associations and a indicating impact COVID 19 has had on the industry
- LinkedIN profile review
- Discussion Board entries
Selection of 90-100 hours of upskilling or credentialed activities (# of hours will be negotiated based on PD Plan)
- IBM credentialing: IBM Professional Skills, Design Thinking, Gamification, Personal Brand as well as credentialed and technical skills
- LinkedIN Learning modules on desired topics: Professional Development, Interviewing, Leadership, Emotional Intelligence, Teamwork, Communication, Technical writing, Etc. Modules lead to badges that appear on LinkedIN accounts.
- Kahn Academy – Disney Imagineering
- Hands on skill development hours (FirstBuild, Engineering Garage, AMIST etc.)
Students will research the options and provide a plan for completing their PD hours.