Co-op COVID-19 FAQs
Spring 2020 Co-ops:
- I am uncomfortable continuing to work with my co-op employer this Spring semester – what should I do?
Please contact your Co-op Advisor.
- My co-op rotation ended early this Spring, will this affect my grade?
No. We recognize that this is a rare situation for us all and since your employer’s business conditions have been affected, it does not affect your grade.
- How should I write my co-op report since my co-op ended early this Spring semester?
Please write your report based on the work you completed up to your last day worked. For example, if your last day was April 10th, you will write your report about the work you completed up to April 10th.
Please have your employer evaluate the work you have completed up to the last day worked. Also, be sure to confirm your dates on the Employer Appraisal.
- How will we be conducting the Exit Interviews?
Exit interviews will be completed virtually via Microsoft Teams. Please log onto Symplicity and go to “Events”, click on “Workshops” and then sign up for a day/time that works best for you to conduct a 15-20 minute Exit Interview with your Co-op Advisor. If you do not have access to Microsoft Teams, please contact your Co-op Advisor during your scheduled time.
- What should I be doing while I am not working? Do I need to find alternative work?
You do not need to find alternative work but you’re welcome to if you would like. There is nothing formal that you need to do with our office. Here is a link with a list of employers hiring: https://www.kychamber.com/news/coronavirus/covid-19-whos-hiring. Many of these positions are not engineering roles but if you need to continue to find a source of income, you may use this as an option.
Summer and Fall 2020 Co-ops:
Due to COVID-19, employers are currently in a holding pattern. We are seeing employers waiting to make decisions in regards to their Summer and/or Fall co-op programs until they know more about the direction COVID-19 is going in. Since it changes daily, we are keeping in touch with our employer partners on their decisions.
- Are companies still hiring for the Summer/Fall?
We do still have companies hiring for both Summer and Fall. Please contact your Co-op Advisor to learn more.
- What is the cutoff date for summer placement?
Our office will continue to work with Summer seeking co-op students into the month of June. We will provide additional flexibility for students that want to add one or two courses while they are intending to be out on co-op. Should you not have a placement by June 14th, our office will have an alternative activity developed that will allow you to receive co-op credit. It will be a series of professional development modules that lead to increased skills or credentials. We will send out additional information in early May.
- I’m not getting Summer co-op job offers or interviews, what should I do?
I would reach out to your Academic Advisor about your options in case you do not identify a placement for the summer. Be sure to confirm when your co-op rotation would be postponed and how that will affect their overall flight plan. Our office will continue to work with summer seeking co-op students into the month of June.
- Can I apply for co-op opportunities in other Engineering majors?
Yes. We will allow some flexibility based on the COVID crisis. Our preference would be that your position would have general engineering skills that can be applied to other situations. Please contact your Co-op Advisor for guidance in this area.
- I haven’t heard back from any employers about the jobs I applied for in Symplicity for fall. Should I be worried?
Not at this time. We still have time to identify Fall co-op opportunities, and many employers are trying to determine how they will handle their Fall co-op rotations.
- What happens if I don’t find a Summer or Fall co-op?
It’s important to have the conversation with your Academic Advisor to determine your options. You will want to discuss when to postpone your co-op rotation and how that will affect your flight plan. Please communicate your options to your Co-op Advisor. If you are graduating this Summer, please contact your Co-op Advisor about your options.
- It is too early right now to determine next steps for Fall seeking co-op students?
We still have a whole semester to continue to work with you.
- Can I take classes in the summer and look for a fall co-op?
That is an option. Please confirm this option with your Academic Advisor and be sure to communicate this to your Co-op Advisor. It’s important to know all of your options so that you can make an informed decision on whether or not you want to postpone your co-op to the Fall of 2020.
- Can I take classes and postpone my co-op until next summer?
That is an option. Please confirm this with your Academic Advisor and inform your Co-op Advisor of your decision.
- If I postpone my co-op rotation how will that affect my scholarship?
Scholarships are generally awarded in the Fall or Spring so as long as you use it, you should not lose it. If you postpone your co-op, you can apply your awarded scholarship funds to classes that you register for.
- If I don’t get a co-op for summer, can I request a waiver and take a class?
Please contact your Co-op Advisor. Based on COVID, our office will offer a one-time opportunity to waive summer 2020 co-ops if you have actively tried to secure a co-op until May 14, have a graduation date of Aug or Dec 2020 or May 2021 and postponing co-op would delay your graduation date. If your co-op was cancelled, you will need to provide documentation with your COVID application waiver. All COVID waivers will go through an approval process.
- Will I fail co-op seminar if I don’t find a Summer or Fall co-op?
No. Identifying a co-op does not affect your grade for Co-op Seminar, 288.
- I just received an e-mail that my Summer co-op employer can no longer support a Summer position for me, what should do I next?
Please contact your Co-op Advisor and we will work with your Academic Advisor on next steps. We want to determine if you can postpone your co-op rotation(s) and how it will affect your flight plan.
- My company cannot guarantee my position for the Summer OR is intending to push back their start date. Am I free to look for other opportunities?
No. If your employer is pushing back your start date, you need to move forward with your commitment to that employer.
If your employer cannot guarantee your position for the Summer, please contact your Co-op Advisor and we will work with your Academic Advisor to determine your options. From here, we want to see how postponing your co-op would affect your flight plan. Your Co-op Advisor will be able to share with you more insight as to which employers are recruiting and how many.
- I have a co-op in the summer but I haven’t heard from the employer. Should I start looking for another co-op?
No. I would try calling your employer and leaving a message. If you’re unable to contact your employer yourself, please contact your Co-op Advisor. He or she can assist you with getting in touch with your employer.
- I’m graduating this Summer, Fall or Spring 2021 and I can no longer return to my co-op employer due to COVID-19, what should I do next?
Please contact your Co-op Advisor and we will work with your Academic Advisor to determine your options.
- I am seeking full-time employment after this Spring or Summer semester but I’m struggling getting interviews or call backs, what should I do?
Please contact Mary Andrade in our office. She is still working with students seeking full time opportunities, and she also has job search resources available. You may need to be more flexible with the types of positions you consider due to economy. Due to the pandemic, it will take longer than your traditional job search.
Here are some additional resources to help you in your search: